What Requires a Zoning Review?



What Requires a Zoning Review?



What requires a Zoning Permit?

Zoning ensures the safety and aesthetic missions of the Land Use Ordinance are carried out with each improvement. Zoning permits are required for the following property alterations/repairs:

  • Additions
  • Any exterior alteration to a historic property
  • Conversions from one use to another
  • Decks
  • Driveways/Parking Lots/Paving
  • Fences
  • Garages
  • Generators
  • Home Occupations
  • HVAC systems (replacement systems in the same location do NOT need zoning)
  • Land Disturbance/Soil Alteration in excess of 6" in height from grade
  • Opening a Business/School/House of Worship/or any new use.
  • Patios
  • Porches/Steps
  • Retaining Walls
  • Sheds
  • Signs (including window signs)
  • Solar Panels
  • Swimming Pools/Recreational Courts
  • Walkways

You do not need a Zoning Permit for painting, tree removal, siding or roofing.




Application details

The most common reason for application denial is because of lack of details. Please be clear on your Development Application of what you are looking to install and be clear on the property survey where the structure/improvement is to be installed. Include the peak height, length, width, side yard setback and rear yard setback in order to receive a complete review. Also, certain improvements require additional information, such as materials to be used, so be sure to be thorough in order to prevent your application from being kicked back.


Property Survey

A property survey is required with most applications that need a zoning review. Please submit a property survey that clearly shows where you are installing (complete with measurements) the structure you are applying for. All setbacks and measurements should be shown clearly and legibly.


Business Requirements (Residential Applicants Exempt)

Plainfield requires all businesses to submit three documents along with their Development Permit Application: 

  1. Copy of Refuse/Recycling Contract or latest Invoice-to ensure that illegal dumping is curbed in our city. If your landlord takes care of your garbage and recycling needs, then ask your landlord for their latest bill and submit to the Zoning Office as proof.
  2. Fire Registration Form -to contact you in case of an emergency. Go to the Plainfield Fire Division at 315 Central Avenue in order to receive the form and have it stamped and signed. Submit the form with the Development Permit Application.
  3. Copy of your State of NJ Business Registration approval documents -in order to verify that your business is legal with the State.