Permitted in the Zone?

The use that you wish to convert to must be permitted in the zone. If your proposed use is not permitted in your zone, then you will be required to go to the Zoning Board of Adjustment for a use variance.

Meet Zoning Bulk Regulations

If your proposed use is permitted in the zone, it does not mean that your use will be approved. You must meet the zoning bulk regulations (lot size, density, lot width/frontage, depth). The Assistant Zoning Officer will review and grant approval to your zoning application. The Building Division may require a new Certificate of Occupancy (CO) to be issued for the new use. When you submit your Zoning Application, the correct Building application will be provided on site for the CO. The cost of a CO is $300.00.

Zoning Board of Adjustment

The Zoning Board of Adjustment grants variances to applications that do not meet the bulk regulations or if the proposed use is not permitted in the Zone. The variance process is a longer process than a normal zoning application and requires a board hearing, a 45 day review period by the Planning Division, and a $500 escrow for residential applications and $1,000 for commercial applications, along with fees. To learn more about the Zoning Board process, please contact the Planning Division at (908) 753-3391.The Zoning Board Application can be found below: